Contest Announcement: Translators
The Elizabeth Kostova Foundation and Open Letter Books are very pleased to offer a Fellowship for a literary translator of Bulgarian contemporary literature.
The applying translators should meet the following requirements:
- be literary translators working from Bulgarian into English;
- have at least three published translation of fiction work from English into Bulgarian or vice versa.
The applying translators should submit:
- Professional biography listing their major literary translations from/into English;
- Synopsis of originally written in Bulgarian language fiction work, which they are planning to translate or refine during their residency at Open Letter Books;
- Agreement from the author or the publisher of the book for translation. The book should be written by a living Bulgarian writer;
- Translation sample of fiction work: 20 pages for novel or 10 pages minimum if applying with short story (please send one or more complete stories in order to reach the required minimum)
The samples could be from the intended text for translation during the work stay at Open Letter Books.
- Statement of Purpose explaining the interest in the fellowship, the relevance of the residency to the translator’s career, areas of literary interests etc.
Deadline for Applications: 20 September 2011
Please submit your applications by e-mail to Simona Ilieva, EKF’s coordinator, at
The programme is supported by the America for Bulgaria Foundation.